A newborn baby allegedly taken from his mother at a healthcare facility in Gboko, Benue State, has been recovered by the police.
The Benue State Police Command also confirmed that some suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident.
The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Peter Aondona, disclosed this to journalists on Thursday, saying the baby was recovered in the early hours of the day.
According to him, the baby is currently at the police division in Gboko.
“Yesterday (Wednesday) in the midnight, we recovered the baby and the baby is at the division now,” Aondona said.
He explained that the case was initially reported at the A Division Police Station in Gboko before being transferred to the Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation.
Aondona confirmed that arrests had been made but said the police would disclose the exact number of suspects later.
How the Baby Was Allegedly Taken
The baby was reportedly born on Tuesday, August 11, at a healthcare facility in Gboko and was allegedly taken from his mother a few hours after delivery.
According to reports, the newborn initially had difficulty crying after birth, prompting a nurse to attend to him and stabilise his condition.
The baby was later taken to a ward with his mother.
It was gathered that a woman who allegedly presented herself as a nurse subsequently approached the mother and asked to examine the newborn.
Believing that the woman was a member of the hospital staff, the mother reportedly handed the baby over to her.
The woman was then said to have carried the child towards the labour room.
It was only later that the family reportedly realised that the baby was no longer with the woman, leading to confusion at the healthcare facility.
Security personnel were subsequently alerted as efforts began to locate the newborn and identify the person who had taken him.
Baby Reunited With Mother
The baby has since been reunited with his mother following his recovery by the police.
The identities of the suspects arrested in connection with the incident have not been released.
The police have also not disclosed how the baby was recovered or where he was found.
The command said investigations were ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding the alleged abduction and determine the roles of those arrested.
The development comes a day after activist Zege’Orkwande Sughnen Yaaya raised the alarm over the reported disappearance of the newborn in a social media post.
Fresh News had earlier reported the incident after the initial allegation was made public.
The police confirmation of the recovery marks a significant development in the case, while further details are expected as the investigation progresses.
Submit a Press Release | Advertise With Fresh News | Contact Us
