The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has sacked the technical crew of the Super Falcons following the team’s failure to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
The federation’s Executive Committee announced the decision on Monday, August 17, directing members of the technical crew to leave their positions with immediate effect.
“The Executive Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation has asked members of the technical crew of the @NGSuper_Falcons to step down with immediate effect,” the NFF said in a brief statement.
The federation did not give a specific reason for the decision. However, the move comes days after the Super Falcons suffered a damaging 2-1 defeat to South Africa in Casablanca, Morocco, ending their hopes of reaching the next Women’s World Cup.
The result was a major setback for Nigeria, which had appeared at every edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup since the competition began in 1991. The defeat means the Super Falcons will miss the tournament for the first time.
How Nigeria’s campaign unravelled
Nigeria entered the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations as defending champions and one of the leading teams expected to challenge for the title.
However, the campaign quickly became difficult after the Super Falcons suffered a surprise defeat to Malawi in their opening group match. Malawi later continued their impressive run and reached the semi-finals, where they also secured a historic place at the 2027 World Cup.
The Super Falcons eventually reached the knockout stage but their tournament ended in the quarter-finals after Cameroon defeated Nigeria.
Because the four WAFCON semi-finalists earned direct World Cup places, Nigeria’s quarter-final exit meant the team had to continue its qualification battle through another route.
That final opportunity also slipped away when South Africa defeated Nigeria 2-1. The loss ended the Super Falcons’ hopes of reaching the inter-confederation play-offs and confirmed that the nine-time? No—Nigeria’s record as a 10-time African champion would not be enough to preserve their World Cup streak.
Madugu had already addressed sack calls
The NFF’s decision came only days after Super Falcons head coach Justin Madugu publicly responded to growing calls for his dismissal.
Following the defeat to South Africa, Madugu apologised to Nigerians and accepted responsibility for the team’s failure to qualify.
“First of all, I have to apologise to Nigerians over our inability to make it to the World Cup. It was not our intention. We came and did the best that we could, but our best was not good enough. We are very sorry for that, and we take full responsibility for everything that happened,” he said.
When asked about pressure on his position, the coach made it clear that he was ready to accept whatever decision the football authorities reached.
“I am not afraid of being sacked. To the glory of God, I have served my country. It was a privilege that was given to me,” Madugu said.
He also referred to his overall record with the national team, saying he had been in charge of almost 28 matches, recording 19 wins, four defeats and four draws. However, he acknowledged that the timing of the recent losses made them particularly damaging.
“So far, I have played almost 28 games, won 19, lost four and drawn four. But this defeat came at crucial moments that people did not expect,” he said.
Madugu also explained that missed opportunities and defensive mistakes played a role in the defeat to South Africa. He said the players gave their best but ultimately failed to do enough to keep Nigeria’s World Cup hopes alive.
What next for the Super Falcons?
The NFF’s decision now brings an end to the current technical setup and leaves the federation with the task of deciding how to rebuild the coaching structure around the team.
The timing is significant because Nigeria’s next challenge will be to restore confidence in a side that has traditionally been one of the strongest teams in African women’s football.
The Super Falcons remain Africa’s most successful women’s national team in terms of WAFCON titles, but their latest campaign exposed the consequences of failing to convert that history into results when qualification was at stake.
For the NFF, the immediate priority will be finding a new technical direction capable of preparing the team for its next competitive assignments while also rebuilding after the disappointment of missing a World Cup for the first time.
The federation has not yet announced who will take charge of the Super Falcons following the departure of the technical crew.
